Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pot roast with red wine, thyme and honey

This was my first ever pot roast, and it wasn't too shabby! The recipe came from the Food Network. I didn't follow it exactly, since I wasn't making a meal for a bunch of people I just cut back on the amount of meat and veggies I used.

-1 bottom round roast (I think mine was a rump roast)
-Salt and pepper
-5 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil because I didn't read the recipe closely)
-3 small onions, diced (I used 1 large sweet onion but my dice was too small and it got mushy, I would recommend a larger dice)
-10 to 12 cloves garlic, lightly smashed (I used maybe 6 and I really smashed those suckers)
-4-5 carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
-2 c chicken stock
-2 c red wine (MM: Never use anything you wouldn't drink!)
-2 1/2 tbsp honey
-5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
-2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes (I used 4 very large red potatoes and diced them into 1-inch cubes because I was sort of pressed for time and didn't want to eat at 9pm)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Season roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add the meat and brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Remove and set aside.

Lower heat to medium and saute onions, garlic, and carrots for 5 minutes. Add the broth, wine, honey, and thyme, stir to combine, and then add the roast back to the pot.

Cover pot and transfer to oven. Bake for 2 hours, turning the meat over twice. Add the potatoes to the pot and bake, uncovered, for another 30 to 45 minutes longer until both the potatoes and the meat are fork-tender.

Okay I ignored this last step - I didn't start cooking until 5pm and we were sort of hungry so I cooked for an hour, turned, cooked for 30 minutes, turned, added potatoes, cooked with the lid on for another 30 minutes, done. It came out just fine, but next time I'll be more prepared and follow the rules.

No comments: