Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life kicked in!

Sorry that things have slowed down around here. I started school this week, so I'm a little over-scheduled. School 4 nights a week, and still working at Starbucks 5-6 mornings a week. Eek!

I've been using some of my free time to hand-write all of my recipes on 3x5 index cards. Up until now, they were written mostly on sticky notes and scrap paper and stuck inside of my 1975 Betty Crocker cookbook that I inherited from my maternal grandmother. However, last year my paternal grandmother gave me a recipe box and she started sending me her old recipes. I figured it was time to add my own!

Some of my granny's recipes are 100 years old, and come from HER granny. I promise I'll take the time to share them with you in the coming weeks. The most famous is written below, they are delicious!

REFRIGERTOR ROLLS

-1 cup hot water
-6 Tablespoons shortening
-¼ cup sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 egg, well beaten
-1 package dry yeast
-¼ cup lukewarm water
-3 ½ - 4 cups flour

In a large bowl, pour the hot water over the shortening and stir until the shortening dissolves. Stir in the sugar, set aside and let it cool to lukewarm. Whisk in the salt and egg.

Dissolve the package of yeast into the lukewarm water, add to the shortening mixture.

Gradually stir in enough of the flour to make an easily handled dough, until it forms a ball. Be careful not to add too much flour, you want it sticky. Use the remaining flour to knead the dough until it springs back when touched.

Let dough rest while you wash your bowl and grease it.

Place dough in bowl, then turn it over in the bowl so the top is greased. Cover bowl with wax paper or a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. * Punch down and pinch off 2" balls to form into rolls.

Place rolls in a greased or non-stick pan, fairly close together (like biscuits). Cover and let rise until doubled in size (when they rise, they should be touching).

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 for 10-12 minutes. Just before serving, lightly brush the tops with melted butter. Serve hot.

*At this point, dough can be covered and stored in refrigerator for future use. Punch down daily while stored.

Makes 18 – 24 rolls.

No comments: