Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chicken and rice casserole

Chicken and rice: such a classic, cold-weather, "comfort food" dish! I actually make Ryan take me to Cracker Barrel (so un-Martha of me) on Saturday nights so I can have their Chicken n rice. Ryan says mine is better...I don't agree but this comes close enough!

-Chicken breasts (between two and four, depending on how many people you are feeding)
-1 1/2 cups of white rice
-2 /14 cups of water
-1 tbsp butter
-2 cans of Campbell's mushroom soup
-Salt and pepper
-Paprika

Heat oven to 350.

In a saucepan, bring the water and butter to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add the rice, stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Pour the rice into a wide casserole dish. Top with a can of the mushroom soup.

If you are using four chicken breasts, just lay them on top of the rice. If you are using less, I recommend pounding them into wider/thinner strips so you can completely cover the rice in the dish. Salt and pepper generously.

Pour the last can of soup over the chicken and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for about 40-50 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.

At this point, I set the chicken aside and stir the rice with the sauce that is left in the dish, so I can be sure my rice is totally covered with mushroom soup. Serve any way you see fit, however, because this is a pretty fool-proof dish!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this casserole! Your mom actually made me into a rice fan. My parents rarely made it.

Emily said...

Goooo mom for making yummy dinners when we were kids. :)