Tuesday, October 7, 2008

More ice cream: Mint Chocolate Chip

I'm pretty proud of this recipe, it's my own creation! I have been on an ice cream kick all summer, and I am finally beginning to figure it out.

If you want your ice cream to be super creamy, just use more cream than half and half. As long as you end up with 4 cups, you're good. The more half and half used, the more "icy" your final product will be. Unfortunately, the thing that makes ice cream so creamy is the amount of milkfat you use. Less milkfat, more ice. Such is life...

Score extra Martha points if you have a fancy stand-alone ice cream maker! I have the ice cream bowl attachment for my stand mixer, but frankly it's just as good.

-3 c fat-free half and half
-1 c heavy cream
-1 egg yolk
-1 c sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 tsp vanilla
-2 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
-1 cup dark chocolate chunks (I just chop up a candy bar)

Mix the cream, egg yolk and sugar on medium for about 3-5 minutes. Turn off the mixer, add the half and half, blend again on medium for another 5 minutes. Add the salt and flavorings, mix well.

Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and blend for about 25 minutes, or until it's almost set. Stir in the chocolate chunks, and freeze for at least 2-3 hours before serving.

I don't add food coloring, but if you like your mint ice cream green, go nuts!

No comments: