Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Non-dairy potato salad (Provencal)

This is my kind of potato salad - no mayo, no chunks of onion or celery (I have issues with mushy/crunchy combinations), lots of bold flavor.

This is in no way my invention, I got it from Barefoot Contessa. I substituted a few things, which I will note below. Feel free to try any combination you think will taste great!

-2 pounds of potatoes, peeled (Unless I am cooking for a crowd, I use a small bag of golden Klondike)
-2 tbsp white wine
-2 tbsp chicken stock
-3 tbsp Champagne vinegar (I don't have Champagne vinegar, so I mix 2 tbsp of white Balsamic with 1 tbsp of rice vinegar)
-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
-2 teaspoons kosher salt
-3/4 tsp pepper
-10 tbsp olive oil
-1/4 c minced scallions (I omit)
-2 tbsp minced fresh dill
-2 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
-2 tbsp julienned fresh basil leaves (I omit)
-1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
-1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped

Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Boil the potatoes into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.

Combine the vinegar and mustard and slowly whisk in the olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the herbs and toss with the potatoes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

(Omit the chicken stock to make this dish vegetarian, change out the dijon mustard for another variety to make it vegan).

No comments: