Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Easy chicken stock


A friend and I were just talking about chicken stock today, because now that I have cleaned out the fridge, I'm going to make stock. She uses canned stock, because it is easier. And while that is true, the real stuff tastes so darn good!

I promise you, this is easy. It doesn't require any fancy chopping or peeling, because you just throw everything out once it's cooked (or compost it all, if you are able). It is also easy to customize - you can make more or less, just adjust your herbs and garlic so it's not overpowering.

-Chicken carcass (previously cooked)
-20 cups water
-Whole onion, quartered
-3-5 carrots, cut into pieces
-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed (just whack it with the flat part of your knife)
-3-5 celery stalks, cut into pieces
-1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp pepper
-2 tsp each of the following herbs (fresh is better, but dried is fine): rosemary, dill, sage

Put everything into a stock pot, cover, and set the burner to low. Simmer 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. Strain out all of the solids, and put the liquid into the fridge to set overnight. Simply skim off the fat the next day, and freeze until you need stock!

Do you think Martha would give me one of her super fancy chickens to find out if they make better stock than the rotisserie chicken I bought from Albertson's on Monday?

4 comments:

Nicolle said...

I'm so excited about your blog!...and your recipes. You are a FABULOUS cook!

Unknown said...

I'm impressed Emmy. The most complicated recipe I have involves 7 ingredients , and I still often forget to add things. And now you are expecting me to make stock? Silly girl...

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT!! :)

Unknown said...

oh, i wanted to add... for those of us that love fresh parm (or other hard cheese) but don't know what to do with the rinds? save them and put them in your stock! it just adds a little extra bit of tasty.