Thursday, August 14, 2008

Nutty brownies

Forgive me, Martha, for I have wronged you. I cheated on you with Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa (and a personal hero of mine).

These nutty brownies are adapted from one of her recipes - beware, the portions are HUGE, and these brownies are anything but healthy.

-1 pound butter (4 sticks)
-1 pound chocolate (I recommend half semi-sweet, half bittersweet)
-6 oz unsweet chocolate
-6 eggs, at room temperature
-3 tsp coffee
-2 tsp vanilla (note: vanilla and coffee actually enhance the flavor of chocolate when used in small doses)
-2 1/4 c sugar
-1 c flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-peanut butter
-Nutella

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler, set aside to cool.

Whisk the eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar together, slowly add the cooled chocolate.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a separate bowl. Add it, a little at a time, to the chocolate batter.

Transfer the mix to a greased pan - the one I have is 9x13 and really that's not quite big enough.

Now, onto the nutty goodness!

Decide how much peanut butter and Nutella you want to use - then scoop them into small separate bowls and microwave for 30 seconds so it's soft but not too runny. Scoop blobs of PB and Nutella into the brownie mix, alternating as you see fit, and then use a spoon or knife to swirl it throughout.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Please don't stop loving me, Martha. I promise, it's only a fling! Those Barefoot Contessa cookbooks in my kitchen mean nothing to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i show no loyalty to martha. for me, it's all about ina (oh, to have her life...)