Friday, August 29, 2008

"Grown Up" Mac and Cheese

This dish actually started with my mom - she would make it for us from time to time, and I always loved it. So, about a year ago, I was trying to impress my in-laws. We had just gotten engaged, and I was desperate to prove to them that I was a good MIT (Martha In Training). It was all in my head, because of course they approved, but the result of my paranoia was a string of experimental dishes, and this update to my mom's mac and cheese was one of the more successful results.

I played around with different cheeses, and I am happy with my three choices below. The asiago gives it bite, the Gruyere creates depth, and the cheddar is always a classic. Feel free to play around with your own combination of cheeses and come up with a flavor that works best for you!

-1 pkg of elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
-2 c cold milk
-4 tbsp butter
-4 tbsp Wondra flour (you'll find it near the flour and sugar at your local grocery)
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper
-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (add more for a bigger punch)
-1 tbsp ground mustard powder
-1 tsp garlic salt
-1 c shredded asiago cheese
-1 pkg shredded sharp cheddar (enough for about 2-3 cups)
-1 c shredded Gruyere cheese
-1/2 c Ritz crackers, crushed

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the milk and flour, whisk together. Add the salt, pepper, mustard, garlic salt and Worcestershire sauce, whisk again. Let the whole thing come to a boil, stirring constantly.

Remove the sauce from the heat and add the asiago and Gruyere cheese, stir well until it melts into the sauce. Mix the sauce and macaroni together in a large pot or bowl.

In a 9x9 casserole dish, layer macaroni - cheddar cheese - macaroni and so on, until just below the top of the dish. Top it off with more cheddar cheese and a good layer of Ritz crackers. Bake the casserole at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crackers are slightly browned.

No comments: