Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake



This is what happens when I have buttermilk in the fridge and it's about to expire. Last weekend, I was totally convinced that Alton Brown's recipe for Orange Blossom Honey Cake containted buttermilk. In a very un-Martha like fashion, I then went out and bought buttermilk without checking the recipe. So of course, I get home, and the recipe doesn't need buttermilk, and I've got a freaking pint of this stuff.

So I made poundcake!

I was a dummy and made this in two loaf pans, when I should have used a bundt. How is it that I don't own a bundt pan? That's negative 5 Martha points for me!

This is absolutely best in a bundt pan, or something ring-shaped, otherwise the edges are too brown and the center takes much longer to cook.
-3 c flour
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-3 c sugar
-1 c butter, at room temperature
-6 eggs, at room temperature
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tsp lemon extract
(or, up the lemoney goodness by using 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 1/2 tsp lemon extracts)
-Zest of one lemon
-1 1/8 c buttermilk

Set your oven to 325, grease and flour your pan(s).

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together into a bowl, set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer) for about 5 minutes on medium-high speed. Lower your speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time. When the eggs are totally incorporated, add the extracts and lemon zest.

Set the mixer to low and slowly add the flour mixture and buttermilk, a little at a time, alternating as you go.

Pour the batter into your pan(s) and bake in the center of the oven. 60 minutes was enough for my two loaf pans, you will need a little less for a bundt. Check the center with a toothpick at around 45 minutes to get a sense of how much longer you have to go without burning the edges.

2 comments:

Nicolle said...

Oh gosh, that looks fabulous! yum!

And yeah, I can't believe you don't own a bundt pan. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't feel so bad, I don't own a bundt pan either!